If you’re looking to increase sales on your Shopify e-commerce site, Google’s advertising programme remains a trusty way for you to gain new customers and land new sales within a quick time frame.
In this guide, we’re going to show you how you can easily and simply set up Google ads for your shopify store, while also being able to track your analytics and your ROI (return on investment.)
Let’s take a look!
What are Google ads?
Google ads refer to advertisements that can be placed within Google’s search engine. If you place an ad with google, a link to your business page (or product) will appear near the top of the search bar when customers search for specific keywords online.
Ecommerce businesses usually use Google ads to target specific keywords, for example, a Shopify store that sells vegan hot chocolate might try to monetize the long tail keyword “best vegan hot chocolate” to drive sales and engagement to their site. If you’re unsure about what keywords to track and target, it’s a good idea to enlist the help of Shopify SEO services, as SEO (search engine optimisation) experts will be able to perform keyword research relevant to your business niche.
Google uses a PPC ad programme (pay-per-click), so you’ll only ever pay for advertising when customers actually click through your site (regardless of whether they make a transaction or not).
How to add Google ads to Shopify website
To add Google ads to your Shopify website, you’ll need the following:
- A Shopify store
- A Google ads account (you can create one easily if you haven’t already)
- A valid website domain
- At least one product available for purchase on your website
If you have all of these, here’s how to get Google ads up and running on your Shopify website:
- Create a Google merchant account. Make sure to enter all the same business information as your Google Ads account when prompted.
- When asked “where do you want customers to check out?” click “on my website” (which will be your Shopify store.)
- Agree to the Google Merchant terms and conditions and create your account.
- Fill in the required tax information where applicable, and enter your business address when prompted. It should be displayed as “unclaimed” if you’ve never used Google ads before, and you’ll need to verify your site to proceed.
- To verify your website, you need to install the HTML tag within your Shopify site. To do this, simply copy and paste the generated tag into the body of your Shopify website. (You can access the HTML by going to Shopify>Themes>Action>Edit code.
- Make sure there’s no password on your website.
- Return to your Google Merchant account and verify your website.
Now that your account is verified, you need to set up your Google Ads and Google merchant account on Shopify. You can do this by heading to the Shopify app store and downloading the app called “Feed for Google Shopping.” This allows you to manage all three accounts from the one place.
And there you have it! All you need to do now is wait for Google to approve your application, and your ad campaign will be ready to go! You’ll typically wait around a day or so for your account to be approved, after which you’ll be able to advertise your products via Google.